Recently a post on my Hypothyroid Mom Facebook Page gave rise to comments about how to use essential oils for thyroid health. So I asked my followers if this would be a topic they would be interested in reading about at Hypothyroid Mom. I was shocked at the number of
YES…ABSOLUTEY…OF COURSE…YEAH…YEP…HECK YA…
messages that I received. I’m a real newbie when it comes to essential oils, so I turned to Essential Oils blogger Rebecca Schiffhauer for details. I’m interested in hearing from you. Do you use EOs? If so, how have they helped you?
Written by Rebecca Schiffhauer, Camp Wander
Most of us are on the lookout for help in the hormone department, in my case, I wanted to jumpstart my metabolism and lift that heavy feeling of an overburdened body, mind and soul. I call my little helper, Function. Finding hormonal balance is my quest of the century. When the endocrine system is out of whack we can experience weight gain, mood swings, thinning hair, chronic discomfort, hot flashes, night sweats, cloudy brain, lazy libido, you name it, it all begins with the thyroid. I make no claim that my little blend is a cure all for this long list of gripes but, it’s sure helping!
“We are wising up and recognizing that more subtle changes in function can have significant health consequences. Remember, this is the master metabolism hormone that controls the function and activity of almost every organ and cell in your body. When it is sluggish or slow, everything slows down.” Dr. Mark Hyman
According to Dr. Mark Hyman, the most common culprits that contribute to a tired thyroid are:
- Environmental toxins – such as pesticides that act as hormone or endocrine disruptors, interfering with metabolism and function. A study showed that as we lose weight, pesticides are released from their fat tissue. Can you say YUCK.
- Stress – the more stress you’re under the worse your thyroid functions.
- Inflammation – perhaps from gluten intolerance caused by genetically modified grains with some very strange proteins or processed food (Frankenfoods). Both can signal the body to create antibodies that fight to rid the body of foreign substance. This is a chronic inflammatory response that interferes with Thyroid function.
- Nutrient deficiencies – Iodine, vitamin D, omega-3 fats, selenium, zinc, vitamin A and B vitamins.
According to my own due diligence (which I highly encourage all of you to practice!) I needed to start with a simple, healthy detoxification along with lifestyle changes.
- I read up on essential oils that address inflammation and detoxification, namely Turmeric and Black Pepper, Bergamot, Lemongrass and Frankincense as my supplements of choice.
- I increased my water intake. I try to drink at least 60 ounces of water each day.
- Continued to eat organically whenever possible.
- Get 30 minutes of exercise every day.
This protocol was a little intense the first few days until I found what worked best for me. My advice will always be, less is more. When you practice moderation you allow your body the chance to let you know what it wants and what it doesn’t need. Essential oils are 50 – 75% more powerful than the herb or plant itself, a little goes a long way.
- Dilute blend – I used a 1 part blend to 1 part carrier oil dilution (50/50). This blend must be diluted. Less is definitely more here, it’s a powerful blend!
- Day 1 thru 3 – I opted to roll the blend over the skin at the base of my neck (that’s where the thyroid is located) using a Z pattern 3x daily. This caused a “clean out”, the lightening effect was welcome but I also felt tired, achey and a little off, even the whites of my eyes went slightly yellow. I felt certain I was getting rid of toxins so I soldiered on but made some modifications.
- Day 4 thru 6 – Upped water intake to 60 ounces minimum to aid the flushing of toxins and reduced Function Blend application to 2x daily.
- Day 7 onward – Feeling good! Now I apply 1x daily in the morning.
- Weight loss due to water and waste detox/flush
- Sugar cravings reduced significantly
- Clarity of thought
- Increased energy ♥ this result!
- Reduced inflammation in joints
My Tired Thyroid Protocol with Function
Prep Time: 5 mins
Total Time: 5 mins
Recipe Type: Function Detoxification Blend
- 50 drops Turmeric & Black Pepper Anti-inflammatory Power Blend
- 20 drops Bergamot
- 20 drops Frankincense
- 10 drops Lemongrass
- Camp Wander Organic Rosehip Seed Carrier Oil
- 10 ml Roller Bottle
Instructions: Add all therapeutic Camp Wander Essential Oils, top roller bottle off with Camp Wander Rosehip Seed Carrier Oil, blend.
I’ve combined these ingredients and packaged them in a 10 ml stainless steel roller top bottle for easier application. This Function Detoxification Blend is a wildly popular product at Camp Wander.
Please note that I’m not a physician, I’m not on thyroid meds and in general, enjoy good health. I’m simply sharing a plant based option that has worked for me. Use of essential oils is not intended to take the place of your health providers care. Essential oils are NOT to replace your thyroid hormone replacement medication. Please check with your physician before making any changes to your established protocols. This was designed for adults. Speak to your child’s pediatrician before using any supplements including essential oils. Always consult with your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding as many supplements and herbs are not safe at these times.
🦋 January is Thyroid Awareness Month. Camp Wander is offering Hypothyroid Mom fans 20% discount on your entire shopping cart shopwide from Thursday, January 19, 2017 at 7:00PM ET until Sunday, January 22, 2017 at 11:59PM ET. Enter Coupon Code hypothyroidmom (note the code is all one word) at checkout!
See more Camp Wander Therapeutic Essential Oils, Salves, Serums and more HERE.
Enjoy FREE shipping in the USA. International orders welcome.
About Camp Wander
Camp Wander is a place that reflects Rebecca Schiffhauer’s love for natural alternatives and how we can use them for whole wellness. It’s her gardener’s nature that first opened the door to nature’s pharmacy, always drawn to herbs and the soil, where it all begins. And so it is with our health, like the soil our bodies need to be nurtured and cultivated to be well, flourish and contribute. Pure essential oils are much like every garden she has loved, trustworthy and created to heal. One constant in this life is her love and respect for nature, ALL the answers are there. Nature never stops giving, may we be the same.